You’re planning your next vacation, but here is the question you need to ask: have you considered staying local? San Francisco ranks number eight on WalletHub’s list of the 15 Best Cities for Staycations. The City by the Bay was rated high for recreation and food and entertainment, though that’s no surprise! We’ve got it all in the Bay Area, so buckle your seatbelt and get ready for the staycation of a lifetime:
Just because you aren’t leaving the City doesn’t mean you can’t treat yourself to a few nights enjoying a home-away-from-home! If you’re looking for a chic boutique stay, check out any one of the following:
- Proper Hotel (Whimsical yet modern, with a James Beard-nominated chef and rooftop bar!)
- Inn at the Presidio (Historic hotel surrounded by natural beauty close to parks and regional destinations!)
- Hotel Zetta (Situated right in SOMA, this hotel is edgy and sophisticated – and had an adjoining restaurant called The Cavalier that everyone wants to try)
- Harbor Court Hotel (Chic, colorful lodging with a SAKE lounge. Yes, we said it! Delightful)
For more up-scale ideas, read up in 7×7’s article “8 Sexiest Boutique Hotels in San Francisco” and Departure’s piece “The Best Boutique Hotels in San Francisco.” There are so many places to stay and so little time!
If you’re the staycationer who’s more interested in a sweet bungalow or cozy-type location, a few of our favorites include:
- Annie’s Cottage (Escape to these whimsical cottages nestled in Russian Hill)
- Chateau Tivoli (A charming bed-and-breakfast with nine sweet guest rooms)
There are many cozy options in San Francisco, so if the above don’t strike your fancy, here are a few more on Airbnb!
Take Your Pick
As a vibrant international city known for its wide variety of things to do and see, you’ll find there is no shortage of adventure in your own backyard.
- Urban hikes – Take to the Bernal Heights Park Trail for awesome views of the city, enjoy the Lands End Trail with all of its wild flowers and amazing views of the Pacific Ocean and ALSO, the Twin Peaks Trail is a beautiful option for those looking to see some wildlife.
- World-class museums – As locals, we’re all familiar with SFMOMA, but this is the perfect opportunity to take your time roaming around. You’ll also get a glimpse into the Surrealist sensibilities of René Magritte, among other exhibits. You should also take advantage of your time off to visit the MoAD, the Asian Art Museum and other local favorites like de Young and Legion of Honor. Among other lesser-known art galleries, TimeOut San Francisco also has some killer suggestions on the best ones around.
- Unwind at a spa – What better way to relax than with a spa day? If you haven’t already checked out Archimedes Banya, they have everything from communal baths to Russian platza massages – and it’s local to the Bayview! Onsensf is another local favorite, hidden away as a therapeutic retreat. And for a larger list, check out Conde Nast Traveler‘s article “14 Best Spas in San Francisco”. We’re feeling Zen already!
- Take to the water – You can sign up for a charter or sailing lessons at Sailing San Francisco, or you can fish the Golden Gate Bridge aboard the Argo. If your nautical aspirations are more modest, rent a paddle boat at Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park and see San Francisco through new eyes.
- The celebrated standbys – Sometimes it’s easy to take things for granted when some of the greatest attractions in the world are all around you. So let’s not overlook Fisherman’s Wharf, The Presidio, Golden Gate Park, Union Square, Embarcadero, Alcatraz, the Marina District, Chinatown, the Mission District, Bernal Heights, and The Castro, to name a few.
- Food and drinks– San Francisco is home to some of the best restaurants in the U.S., and as culinary savants we’re sure you could list them ad infinidum. But what about those casual spots you never bop around to? May we suggest Off The Grid for some luxe taco trucks, or the new German beer hall Radhaus at Fort Mason. If you do end up wanting to try something new and hot, Eater SF’s August list of restaurants is on point.
- Other activities – Check out SPARK for happy hours, movie nights and food festivals. Visit Stagecoach Greens and play a chic game of mini golf. And if you want to see San Francisco’s newest downtown outdoor space, Saleforce’s Transbay Terminal has some beautiful gardens and cool architecture to check out.
While we’ve done our best to list some amazing places to stay, things to do and beauty to see, it’s nowhere near exhaustive! May your staycation be relaxing and fun!